Our governing body is made up of members our school, and local community. We work closely with the Headteacher as part of the school leadership and take an active interest in what happens at Somerset. We have responsibility for strategic planning and policy development. We work as a team to make sure the school provides a good quality education for all its pupils. You may contact the governors in writing via the school office.
From April 2015 our Governing Body will be made up of 14 governors including:
– 1 Headteacher
– 2 elected parent governors
– 1 elected staff governor
– 1 local authority governor
– 9 co-opted governors
The Governing Body has many specific responsibilities as defined in the School Governance Regulations. They include;
• The responsibility for the conduct of the school.
• Setting targets in standards and achievement.
• Statutory responsibilities regarding Special Educational Needs and Disability.
• Ensuring policies relating to the school’s operation are prepared and are reviewed regularly.
• Providing information for parents.
• Financial management and meeting the Schools Financial Values Standards.
• Personnel matters, including staff appointments as appropriate.
• Management and maintenance of buildings.
• Pupil discipline and behavior.
• Monitoring and evaluating the activities of the school.
• Drawing up and Action Plan after an inspection by OFSTED and overseeing its implementation.
The Governing Body delegates all of its functions to a committee and most of the day to day decisions to the Headteacher.
Are you interested in becoming a governor?
Contact the Headteacher of the Chair of Governors in the first instance so we can arrange a chat. There is always a need for dedicated and committed members of the public, the local community and parents to serve as governors supporting this vibrant school.
Operational Committees include:
1. Curriculum & Achievement
3. Children, Families and Community
All committees report directly to the Full Governing Body
Appointed by London Borough of Wandsworth
Emmeline Owens (Chair of Governors)
Elected by the teaching staff of the school
Elected by the support staff of the school
Ian Bradshaw (Safeguarding Governor)
Moira Begbie (Vice Chair and SEND Governor)
Beatrice de Beaufort